Friday, April 17, 2015

NSQG Challenge - My Quilt

IMG_3961I just got my Nebraska State Quilt Guild challenge quilt back after making the rounds.  This is the block I started on the trip to 3 of my friends to add borders.  Fay added the pinwheels on the right and the diamonds on the top.  Kay added the green and navy stripe with the leaf appliques and the last to work on my quilt was Janet and she pieced the rectangles and appliqued blue circles.  I love it but know I need to add more to finish it up.  IMG_2201The block started out it's trip looking like this.  I used a traditional looking block with flying geese units running diagonally.  Thinking the block looked a little plain, I added the appliqued circles to the sides.  I used the Bernina Circle Embroidery attachment to stitch on the circles and to do the decorative stitching.  A fun attachment and an easy way to get perfect circles and keep the stitching lines parallel.IMG_2205As a reminder here are the challenge rules -It is a round robin challenge with a team of 4-5 quilters of your choice.  Each quilt will start with a 9” finished center block.  You will build around the center block using borders with the following shapes—pinwheels, circles, diamonds, applique, and some embellishment.  The front of the quilt must have at least one of each shape listed but you may use more of these shapes if you wish.  Each quilt cannot exceed 120 total inches around.  It must be quilted, bound and a label sewn on the back.

Now, I have to decide what I want to add to finish up my wall hanging.   I am thinking Ii t needs something dark on top and left but not sure what yet.  Maybe more embroidery?  Any ideas or suggestions?

Lynn

3 comments:

Jen said...

Ooo I love it! The navy stripe on the one side looks like a border, so it seems like the other side needs it too, but only if you want to be matchy! Maybe add more of the green in diamonds, circles or flying geese on the left side? It's very cool so far, can't wait to see how you finish it!

quiltonia said...

Janet's dark circles on the left cry out for a dark "something" on the top as the top looks unfinished. A speaker at PPQ said we should call a small quilt a wall quilt or wall art as it is more than a hanging. Looking good so far.

Jeanna said...

So exquisite! I LOVE the batiks :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...